Why Chlorine is So Harmful and How to Avoid it


Water systems

The fact that chlorine has been deemed harmful to us now would be ludicrous to those who were around in the 19th century. The reason is that they actually added chlorine to the water supply on purpose. They this because were more afraid of diseases like typhoid fever, dysentery and cholera that are waterborne than they were of the affects of chlorine. However, they didn’t know how bad chlorine was for you. Now, the chemical in and of itself is not so dangerous. However, the problem comes when chlorine is mixed with other sources. Drinking water from the faucet doesn’t guarantee that you are not swallowing a combination of these toxic materials. Here are just a few things that chlorine can do to you if chlorine removal is not done.

  • It has been proven to destroy the body’s proteins.
  • It hardens arteries.
  • It irritates the skin, hair and sinuses.
  • It makes asthma allergies and respiratory issues worse.
  • A derivative of chlorine can actually speed up the aging process by oxidizing cholesterol.
  • Another has been linked to liver cancer.
  • Cancer risk is approximately 93% higher in those who drink water with chlorine in it than those who determine not to.

There are so many other studies out there that talk about the types of chlorine and the harm that they can have on the human body. We have to stop drinking it, bathing it and even using it at all. We don’t need to worry so much about waterborne diseases. Nowadays, there are other, safer elements that are used to make sure that water is clean. Chlorine should not be in water at all anymore. It has been in there for so long, it is impossible to completely clear the water supplies of it all in one go. There are a few things that you can do to help your personal household but on a grand scale, there is not a whole lot that you are going to be able to do.

So, what can you do?

  1. Get a water treatment for your home. The best thing to do is invest in a whole home water filtration system that includes every faucet in your home including sinks, bathtubs, showers, hoses and any other water dispenser. A water softener will also help to ensure that the water being poured from the taps is good for your hair, skin and body. These filtration systems will help in the chlorine removal process so that the water is safe for you to drink and use.

  2. Drink bottled water if you can’t do or afford the chlorine removal systems then you probably want to buy and drink bottled water. Private companies are a better bet if you want to be 100% sure that the water is actually filtered and not just glorified faucet water.

  3. Avoid using chlorine in a pool, if you have one. It’s better to use hydrogen peroxide, an ultraviolet light or ozone gas. The initial price of things might be higher than chlorine but it will pay for itself over time with the lower maintenance and operating costs. If you don’t know where to find these kinds of things then your local pool service may be able to help you with information.

If you still think that drinking water from the faucet is not that big of a deal, do your own continued research. The more you look into it, the more information and studies you will find showing you just how harmful the faucet water can be. It’s not only in some states either. Nowhere has a filtration system connected to every water source so until that happens, no water coming from a faucet will be safe to drink just like that.

It’s more than just chlorine removal. There really shouldn’t be chlorine to begin with. How can you know that you have completely 100% removed all of the chlorine? There are tests that you can do but it can be hard to find the time to make sure of that. Of course, you will make time for the things that you want but it might be easier to forego the chlorine all together instead of trying to take it out of other elements.